Aliyah on My Mind

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Dating Disgust

You know, I'm just sick of this. So tonight I went to a fundraiser with friends, to whom another 'friend' also attended, partly to see me. I wanted to see him, too, so I was excited and actually wore my sexy new shoes. I told him my big news that I'm considering and really serious about aliyah, and he's like: "What exactly are you looking for? Why would you want to do this?" He totally doesn't understand me, and I just wanted to shout at him, "Why don't you want to do this? What's wrong with you?!" But of course, I didn't, because that's not polite. Instead, we talked about how I'm learning Hebrew, and he said "I'll never learn Hebrew." Which is a stupid thing to say, when who knows what the future holds for Jews anywhere? I reminded him that he had indeed already learned some Hebrew as he was Bar mitzvah, but he said he's not planning on learning more, and that he has no interest in even visiting Israel. I felt like kicking him in the shins. Now you might think that I'm making a big deal out of a little situation, but there is a reason why this really bugs me. It's because like me, he is of a mixed background, so we have that whole Jewish/Christian family thing in common. And we run in the same social circles, and he and I are the only two with any Jewish ancestry at all in our preppy/yuppie circle. It doesn't hurt that he's also quite wealthy and has his own law practice, but I swear that's not the main attraction. It's that people (men) with real potential for me to match up with are few and far between, to say the least. This was the second time that he and I tried to feel each other out (as opposed to feel each other up! lol), and for the second time, we seem to have really struck out. C'est la vie. NEXT!

2 Comments:

  • There's plenty of guys in Tel Aviv.

    By Blogger Ephraim, at 12:13 PM  

  • I'm thinking that you've answered your own question....when guys that you THINK are right for you are sending off signals that annoy you....and I'm not just talking annoy like a bad habit.....when their life philosophies are so out there and not matching with yours, move on! Allow yourself to see that maybe this guy isn't what is RIGHT for you to begin with.

    Great start with your blog! Welcome aboard.........I'm making aliyah in 1 1/2 weeks....let me know if I can help! :)

    ~Emah S. aka Susie :)

    By Blogger Toto, at 7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home