Aliyah on My Mind

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Hi All!
To answer the questions that Emah S, the new Israeli citizen :) asked me in the 'comments':

Hmm. I guess whether I will start living as a Jew depends upon what that means to you. I mean, I won't be frum, since I'm secular. I do observe/celebrate Jewish holidays already, even though I'm a Christian. My Christian friends have learned to accept my differences in holiday observance. To be honest, with my family (I'm single, so 'family' is mom and brother) I just celebrate regular Christian holidays. I've tried to incorporate Jewish holidays, but my brother feels weird about it, because we weren't raised with them. So I don't want to make him feel uncomfortable.

In Israel, I would attend services at a Christian place of worship as opposed to a synagogue. I have attended services with friends and family at several synagogues, but I don't go to any regularly. I feel that it would be deceptive to do that on a regular basis. I recently met a guy who regularly attended a conservative temple, and he's a Christian. He didn't proselytize, but when people asked him about his faith, he answered honestly. (The rabbi later questioned him then asked him not to continue attending, with which he complied.) This is a tough situation, because as Christians, we are taught to share our faith openly if asked. I would never choose to have a conversation like that at a synagogue; I just feel it's disrespectful and uncalled for. So I'm very reluctant to put myself and others into an uncomfortable position by attending regularly. Essentially, while I have tremendous respect for Judaism, it don't want to put on airs by pretending it's my faith, because I want to be honest-- both with myself and the people I'm talking to.

As far as whether I identify with being Jewish, I guess I do to a certain extent. Because of my upbringing, I probably have a similar mindset to many very secular Jews. I identify strongly with the Holocaust, I'm wary of people from lands that have been antisemitic (past and present), and I identify with a lot of Jewish cultural concepts that were an integral part of my upbringing.

Here's a story from my family's past that sort of explains a lot:

My mom's parents had a mixed-faith marriage. My grandfather assimilated into US society, at least outwardly. They married during WWII, and when he got out of the Navy, I think he wanted to try to forget the catastrophe, so he distanced himself, changed his last name, and married a happy-go-lucky Christian girl (can you say shiksa?). Later,when my grandma sent my mom for confirmation in a Lutheran church, she asked my mom's Jewish dad to buy my mom a confirmation Bible. That's when my grandfather decided there was a problem. He sent the Bible, along with Leon Uris' novel, _Exodus_. He said that if she was going to learn her mother's faith, she would darn well learn his beliefs, too. I think the zionism in _Exodus_ was the closest thing to faith that he had.
Now, it would be easy to judge my grandfather for several of the decisions that I just wrote about. But please don't; how can any of us know if we would have done the same thing in his shoes? He wanted to spare himself and his family the pain of a Jewish life, when the Holocaust was just ending and it was too huge of a thing to deal with. Isn't it still? But it was even more so back then. I remember how later in his life, he would take me out for Jewish food, quiz me on math, and make sure I identified with the Holocaust and know some of my family's history. So in some ways, yes, I identify with being Jewish in a cultural sense.

7 Comments:

  • Very interesting story Yakova, thanks for sharing. Not sure of my take on it though. On one hand in my mind you are clearly Jewish, but it's just bizarre to me that you are wanting to identify with being Jewish, yet you still want to hold onto your Christian beliefs. It's like having your cake and eating it too. I hope I'm not coming off as rude, just trying to understand.

    Not that I would expect you to suddenly become frum, I think there is a very important place in Israel and the Jewish world for secular Jews, and I am one myself. It's just that I wonder how it's truly possible to live both as a Jew AND a Christian, ya know?

    That all being said, I wish you only the best as you are at a pivitoal moment in searching for your identity. I look forward to hearing more of your journey, and I hope you'll continue to read of mine! :)

    --sus

    By Blogger Toto, at 12:39 AM  

  • Susie,
    You really hit the nail on the head with your idea of "searching for your identity" statement. But this has been going on for a looong time. I think that my life shows the importance of marrying within one's faith, so the children who come from the marriage don't have these identity problems!
    I am definitely not trying to have my cake and eat it too; that's why I've had to choose one faith to claim as my own. I can't help it that I was raised with something of a Jewish mindset, but I wouldn't want to change that, either. I'd make an official conversion to Jusaism in a split second except that I really do believe in Jesus. Thanks for your questions and effort to understand... I know a lot of people won't agree with my way, so don't worry, I'm not hurt or offended. I put these ideas out there in cyberspace partly so I could get used to responding to the questions BEFORE being in Israel!
    PS I love reading your blog!

    By Blogger Yaakova, at 4:08 AM  

  • Have you ever actually been to Israel?

    By Blogger Ephraim, at 4:51 AM  

  • Hi Evan,
    To answer your question: No! :( I'm planning a trip for 2 weeks, with my mom, at the end of the summer. I hope and pray it will work out-- obviously, I need to visit a first time so that I can be sure of a lot of things. If it doesn't work out, I'll have to wait until June 2007. That would really suck, but it's a possibility. Did you read the book I recommended?

    By Blogger Yaakova, at 7:30 AM  

  • You mean Exodus? Yeah, I've read it like 4 times. Be advised, Israel is very different today than it was in '48. There aren't any more Ari Ben Canaans walking around. Beautiful place just the same, but probably not like whatever picture you have in your mind's eye.

    By Blogger Ephraim, at 1:06 PM  

  • Evan--
    I meant Daniel Gordis' _Home To Stay_. (Or were you joking?) Regardless, it's a good read.

    By Blogger Yaakova, at 2:22 PM  

  • I haven't read home to stay, but I read his dispatches. It's good writing, and I enjoy reading his stuff. The only issue I have with it is that it's all security security security all the time. He doesn't get into the texture of life as much.

    By Blogger Ephraim, at 11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home