Aliyah on My Mind

Friday, July 21, 2006

Change of name, no change of heart...

Hi All.
The email to Israel Anglo Homes (finally) got posted to the whole group, and so far I've received one response. It was from a man who is renting out quite a few affordable apartments on a short-term basis in and around Jerusalem. I'm waiting to hear back from him if he will let people use these for free, or even cheaper than the already low price he's asking. I'll keep you posted.

Update: I just received an email from Sam, apparently a property manager in Jerusalem. I'm cutting-and-pasting it here:

"We have many apartments available all the time and there is NO REAL ESTATE agent fees. Some of the owners may also give a discount." Sam 054-727-2350

In other news, I will shortly be changing the name of my blog from "Aliyah on my Mind" to "Israel on my Heart."
This is due to the fact that I can't commit to an aliyah date at the moment, especially after having an hour-and-a-half long meeting with my stockbroker yesterday. I think I should stay here in the States where I have a great career (I'm a Century 21 Realtor), and I already speak the language fluently, for a few more years. I do hope to continue my real estate career in Israel, but obviously that would necessitate some serious time in ulpan. With my current savings and investments being what they are, I'm not yet ready for retirement. I'm getting there, but I still have a ways to go. And I would really like to not have to work when I make the move, given the difficulty of the transition, etc.
In real estate, it's obviously very imortant to know different communities very well, as well as business customs, etiquette, legalities and contracts, real estate licensing, and so on. So I will definitely have my work cut out for me even before going to work! I really don't know how long it will take me to become successful there, so I'm going to wait a while longer. Do the reasonable thing. Can you tell that I'm feeling conflicted?? Arrgh.

1 Comments:

  • good luck with your preparations. You can make aliya and work more with the anglo crowd in real estate, so while ulpan is important, you could always work without perfecting your hebrew first..

    By Blogger Rafi G., at 9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home