Aliyah on My Mind

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

What the...

WHAT is going on here? I don't know how to express.. Lebanon, Gaza.. 3 soldiers now abducted, more killed. I'm thankful that Israel so values life; that of it's soldiers, citizens as well as citizens of other countries/groups. Which is in sharp contrast to the way people in these other countries/groups seem to attribute no value to life at all.

I fully support Israel's campaigns. The language of retribution is, unfortunately, the only thing these entities (Hezbollah, Hamas) seem to understand. I would love for them to prove that statement wrong.

So I'm having a personal crisis about this, a crisis which has been going on since Gilad Shalit was taken over 2 weeks ago. Not that my own crisis matters in the greater scheme of things; it doesn't. First and foremost, I pray that these real crises will end quickly, and that the kidnapped Israeli soldiers will be returned home in safety. But my own crisis is of a religious nature. The phrase "What would Jesus do?" is such a cliche, but one I have to consider now. As a Christian, I prefer to stifle these militant feelings I get. Because while I agree completely with Israel's response to the current crises, on a personal level, I think I'm not supposed to hate people in Hezbollah and Hamas. But they certainly make the commandment to "love thy neighbor" a very hard one to keep.

I don't like to see innocent civilians get killed. Who does? But I have to admit, I often wonder how many truly "innocent" civilians there are in Gaza. I mean, are the men willing to launch explosives over the wall? Are the women raising their kids to become suicide bombers? Do their children already hate Jews, and peace? Thoughts like these are troublesome. How do you deal with your feelings of anger, even hate, towards terrorist groups? This is not a rhetorical question. I'd love to get some answers.

The Bible says "Vengeance is Mine, saith the Lord; I will repay." But leaving it to God, and loving one's neighbor, is a lot easier said than done.

2 Comments:

  • First let me say how happy I was to find your blog. I look forward to reading it through.

    I too am a Zionist--a Christian with possible Jewish roots (still doing research). I was in Israel in 2003--went with a messianic friend. I limit myself to Christian churches that grasp and embrass Christianitys Jewish roots.

    Now to try to answer your question which is a very good one by the way.
    I dont hate the Terrorists or Islamic people but I hate what they do--their actions. There is a huge distinction.

    Vengence is mine saith the Lord, who by the way often uses his people to effect action.

    The OT or Torah tells many storys of God leading his people into war.
    Especially when it comes to HIS land given to the Jewish people. Land that they have no business giving away for any reason.

    I have no trouble praying for those that would do harm to Israel while cheering on Israels actions to defend herself and the world. ( this threat is world wide even though many dont get that).

    Do I care about the soul of these people while at the same time wanting the terrorists to be stopped by whatever means? YES--I dont find it a contradiction--I believe that is what we are called to do.

    Love your enemy--pray for your enemy are commands from God but do not mean to allow them to destroy you.

    I believe that Israel works hard to act under a moral umbrella even when attacked and defending herself.

    I will also continue to pray for peace which often comes at a price as we live in an evil world.

    By Blogger lila, at 1:01 AM  

  • Hello!
    My name is Anders and I found your blog today and would like to comment some on your post.

    You wrote: “But my own crisis is of a religious nature. The phrase "What would Jesus do?" is such a cliche, but one I have to consider now. (..) I think I'm not supposed to hate people in Hezbollah and Hamas. But they certainly make the commandment to "love thy neighbor" a very hard one to keep.”

    [To differentiate,] Do you want to follow the historical Ribi [a title for a Jewish leader] called Y’hoshua?? He was the first century Jewish Mashiakh [‘Messiah’] called Y’hoshua? He grew up in Galilee. Did you know that many words that are attributed to him was not taught by him – including much of the contents in the “gospels”, but was redacted by Hellenists: <a href="http://www.netzarim.co.il/Shared/Glossary/Glos_N-Q.htm#Df-NT”>Documentation: Link</a>?

    Did you know that the historical Mashiakh was a Jewish Rabbi and that he was a human, and not a ‘divine saviour’? So if you want to do as Ribi Y’hoshua did and live as he lived, you will have to end believing and following the NT, which is a book contradicting the Torah - Instruction Manual of the Creator - which Ribi Y’hoshua taught mankind to follow; and you will have to start doing your utmost to obey the military style orders of Torah - including not eating shellfish and pork and to not do occupational work on the Shabbat - the seventh day of the week according to Jewish counting.

    He taught just as Torah teaches that one should love ones companion. However he defined companion just as Torah defines it - a person doing his/her utmost to keep the directives of Torah non-selectively.

    Yes, the Creator does love all of His creation. He hates everything evil His creations does and love the good things they do.
    It is clear from Torah that Israel should defend herself against her those trying to destroy her.

    I wish you a nice day!
    Regards, Anders Branderud

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home