Aliyah on My Mind

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Hors d'oeuvres, Anyone?

Introducing a fun new feature to my blog: the weekly cocktail party experience!!!

I've often admired bloggers who post fun weekly features on their blogs, but I never knew what contribution I could make. Until... could it be? Could I write about these (mostly) real estate cocktail parties that I attend all the time?! Some of them are pretty noteworthy, for all kinds of reasons. Sometimes it's the personalities, other times it's the properties, or the food, or the party's theme, or whatever.

To explain my intentions a little further: I used to be an elementary school teacher. If there is a less glamorous job to have, I don't want to know what it is. (Though trash collector and stay-at-home mom come to mind as potentials, which are honorable and, just like teaching, undervalued careers!) But I digress. When I was teaching, I remember muttering to myself "I just wish someone would serve me something on a toothpick!" I would have killed for a cocktail party back then. My work environment was dingy and dreary, save the charming kid-art that cheered up the classroom walls.

I used to see people in cocktail parties occasionally, whether I was walking through a hotel lobby or passing by a restaurant. And as I watched, I wished so much for a chance to be among the invitees. Mostly, as I said, because my life at that time was completely devoid of any glamour or luxury. Now, as a Realtor in an area where development has positively exploded in the recent past, I get invited to more "Broker's Open House" events than I could ever have time for. And glamorous they are, so I thought (perhaps) my readers would like to have a "fly on the wall" vantage point!

As I look toward the possibility of aliyah, I recognize that my days of swanky cocktail parties will in all likelihood come to a close. Not that they are so important to me anymore; I've been to so many at this point that I've become jaded. But once they're in my rear-view mirror, I'll feel pretty wistful and nostalgic about all the ritzy parties I attended! So I do this as a remembrance of my glamorous days, and also for any of my readers who could use a little "glamour infusion" into their daily lives.

I think I'll post my installments of "Hors d'oeuvres, Anyone?" on Sundays, for those of you who are in Israel and could use a glamour shot to start off the week. I went to two parties last week, so I have a lot of good material to write about. Believe me--what it will lack in good taste will be made up for in entertainment value!

Finally, a disclaimer: these are not meant to be advertising of any type. In fact, if you live in Central Florida (or anywhere else) and want me to be your Realtor, please DO NOT read these posts! :) Especially since I plan to "call it like I see it." I may occasionally use links to the property advertisements, for the sole purpose of giving you readers a view of where I've been, particularly until I find my digital camera's battery charger. But I don't mean those links to be used as advertising (unless you see something you like; then by all means contact me via a comment on the blog, despite what I write about the cocktail party!)

I hope it's a fun read for you.
But most of all, I hope I don't get sued!

3 Comments:

  • This sounds like fun! I can live vicariously through you, since I have no life of my own!! Now, if you do post pictures of the food at these here soires, please be very descriptive in look, taste and flavor. If you can figure out how to add smell-o-blog, please do so!
    Can't wait to attend our first cocktail party!!

    By Blogger Maureen, at 2:02 PM  

  • Maureen- It will be here before you know it! :)

    By Blogger Yaakova, at 3:36 PM  

  • 'A little glamor infusion'? - A big glamour infusion would be nice, theres not a whole lot of glamour living in the Aussie 'outback' so to speak!
    As a matter of fact the most glamour we have in this town is tight black jeans (with shiny bums), heavy metal tee shirts, moccasin slippers and mullet hair doos. Maybe that's why I don't have anything to do with the bogans in this town! lol!

    Anyway, I'm really looking forward to these cocktail parties! Sounds fun!

    Great idea Yaakova!

    By Blogger Baleboosteh, at 4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home