Aliyah on My Mind

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Warning: Deep Thoughts Ahead

Something interesting is going on in me.. I have been trying for a long time to figure out what my place would be in Israeli society. I'm not like Jewish people who just automatically fit in; my story isn't that simple. (Then again, whose aliyah story is simple?) That scares me a lot, and yet I feel like this is the path my life should take. It's very important to me to understand the role God has for me in Israel. Otherwise, I will not have the strength to remain, once I get there.

Lately I've been thinking about this, and I realize that it will require being my authentic self. And who I am is a person who is -- for many reasons-- an ardent zionist and a Christian, and I love both parts. I feel like my emerging role is to be something of a bridge to Israel for my Christian friends, to help them keep supporting Israel. That's already a lot of what my life is filled with here, but I guess I'm starting to see my role more clearly.

During the war I was talking with some Christian friends, and we agreed that it is good that the US is so supportive of Israel. They said that they can't imagine this ever changing. I then told them about my desire to make aliyah. Once I explained what that meant, one of them said, "Really?!" Now although he didn't explain his surprise, I can read between the lines. They don't understand why I would do such a thing. They are shocked. But they are extremely open to hearing about it.

I went on to tell them (to their amazement) that I can definitely envision scenarios in which the US might not remain so supportive of Israel, and that the need to have a country that takes responsibility for keeping Jewish people safe is one of the most important reasons for Israel to exist.

I didn't go into more detail, but I wish I had also mentioned some other things, such as:
  • In response to the US being so "supportive" of Israel: The US pushed Israel into the whole "land for peace" crap in the first place, and that certainly didn't show support for Israel's safety. (My apologies if you are a fan of that policy, but I think we can agree that it was a flawed plan.)
  • In the US, we may feel very badly that the Holocaust happened, and about the (current and past) treatment of Jewish people around the world, but those are just feelings. To the Jewish people who were caught in the middle, these same issues can be (and of course were) a matter of life and death. As an example, in the US we teach that "we" (the Allied forces) won WWII. Well, my family didn't win, and I'll just go out on a limb here and say that I definitely don't think anyone at all won WWII. We all lost. But obviously Jews felt this loss, Jews were this loss, whereas most in the US had/have the liberty of just "feeling bad."
I can't go on at the moment, as it's really late here and I need to get some sleep. But in any case, I would like to be able to bridge this gap in understanding that Christians have about Israel. I think I'm a natural person to do that.

(BTW, my thesis in college was entitled "The Future of the US-Israeli Relationship.")

3 Comments:

  • Yaakova,
    You certainly do have many thoughts weighing heavy on your heart and in your head. I can understand how emotionally draining that can be.
    Not to put a kabosh on your hopes for Aliyah, but maybe in the interrim you would be such a valuable asset as a conduit in Judao / Christian realtions. Perhaps as a lobbyist. Just spreading your word and enlightening the world is a great gift. Maybe you could travel to local schools and teach tolerance to young students. Hatred is learned and perhaps you could "unteach" some of that hatred or just reinforce tolerance before hatred can be learned. That would be a mitzvah.
    Good luck and stay well.
    P.S - Buy a pair of designer shoes and the dog will never chew an umbrella again!!!

    By Blogger Maureen, at 6:46 AM  

  • Thanks Maureen,
    Yours are good ideas, and I've already implemented some of them (particularly when I was a public school teacher).
    I do think it's nearly time for me to start developing a more formal education plan to bridge the gap, but I'm not worried that it will affect my aliyah plans at all. I still have time for both. :)
    Thanks again for your encouraging words. This is a difficult area for me to figure out, let alone write about.

    By Blogger Yaakova, at 5:35 PM  

  • thanks for sharing. hang in there, things in our life that are difficult for us to understand just aren't "Ready" to be clear to us yet. When it's time, you'll feel it full force!

    take care, sus

    By Blogger Toto, at 4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home