Aliyah on My Mind

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Odds and Ends

Not a lot to blog about today...
Tomorrow, I'm expecting the Hurricane that Wasn't (Ernesto), so I'll have a few of my friends and their dogs over for a hurricane party. Should be a lot more fun that waiting out the storm by myself!

The Red Cross has now contacted me 7 -- yes, seven times since yesterday to ask me to volunteer during the storm. I am a Red Cross volunteer, and I am trained to serve in several roles. I have worked on the disaster response teams and family service (ie. handing out cash :) I volunteered for a whole month last year to assist victims of Hurricane Katrina), and I'm trained to staff and run a shelter. Oh yes. I must have been either crazy or on drugs to get certified for that. The Red Cross here doesn't have many people who have received all the training and also complied with getting a background check, so voila, I'm in demand.

I really hope they get some more shelter management volunteers quickly! I'm happy to help, but actually running a shelter is no small task. And I have an ethical issue with it, too.

The problem is, the Red Cross does not allow pets into its shelters. And I'm sure you know that definitely rubs me the wrong way. But besides my feelings about it, anyone can just look at how many people refused to leave their homes for safety during Hurrican Katrina (and every other hurricane), and often, people and their pets die in their homes because they have nowhere to go that will accept pets. Last year, I complained to the Red Cross about this, but I don't think they have changed their policy. I believe the National Guard shelters may allow pets (which are kept in their cages in a separate room from the people), but not the Red Cross. It's just dumb. And inconsiderate. So we'll see if I volunteer again. I probably will, but I'll give them a piece of my mind, too!

On to more titillating (hee hee!) news: I think that my gardener made a pass at me yesterday! (What, has he been learning stuff from Desperate Housewives??) I have never had an experience like this with a gardener! I didn't know how to respond! (I mean, my answer was NO, but I still didn't know how to say it. Politely.) I just said "No, thank you anyway! Oh! I had better go take care of my dog. Bye!"
It was an uncomfortable situation. But on the brighter side of things, he did a fantastic job with my gardening yesterday. He's never been so thorough!

I hope you all have a peaceful day. :)

4 Comments:

  • Wow, hurricanes sound so scary! I wouldn't want to leave my pets behind either.

    And the gardener thing, wow! What exactly did he ask you? That last paraghraph made me laugh so much...I'm just glad I don't have to deal with those sort of uncomfortable situations anymore.

    I think you should feel very flattered!

    :D

    By Blogger Baleboosteh, at 3:39 PM  

  • Hi Baleboosteh,
    Hurricanes are scary, but getting prepared really helps me feel more secure.
    For example, I'm currently preparing by marinating a brisket for the party! Just kidding; I guess cooking doesn't really count as preparation. :)
    OK, on to the gardener: It was less what he said than how he said it. He kept hanging around my back yard, even after he should have left half an hour earlier. He asked if there was anything else he could do for me. Joking, I said "Sure! Clean the house, make the bed-" To which he replied, "I'll make your bed for you." But it seemed weird, the way he said it. Not like he was just looking for work, if you know what I mean! Yikes! I've never even had a conversation with the guy about anything besides "Please don't cut down my flowers again", or "Please clear the weeds out of the flower bed."
    I'll choose to feel flattered. :)

    By Blogger Yaakova, at 5:15 PM  

  • Lol! Now I know why you felt so uncomfortable!
    I guess you know better than to bring up the topic of making the bed with him next time!
    You're so funny, everytime I come here you always have me giggling.
    Maybe you should have asked him to do the dishes or a load of washing - lol!
    I bet he wouldn't have been so keen to hang around then!

    By Blogger Baleboosteh, at 12:29 PM  

  • So, Red Cross partners with Humane Societies and other agencies to shelter pets. The National Response Plan of DHS-FEMA mandates ESF-11 is responsible for pets... and that role is normally fulfilled by state ag departments, who delegate to humane societies, and legislation signed last month mandates DHS-FEMA to come up with a better plan, BTW.

    By Blogger John Bartley K7AAY, at 11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home